I wanted to share some quilting progress with you today. I’ve been working on a t-shirt quilt commission for my husband’s co-worker. These shirts are from her two kid’s high school band years and they will be cherished through a memory quilt. She wanted the front of the shirts on the front of the quilt and the back of the shirts as the back of the quilt. I’m using royal blue sashing and golden yellow binding, which are both the MHS colors.
I backed the shirts with a knit fusible interfacing, then added the vertical sashing to create each row. I’m doing the “cheater” sashing method with no cornerstones, just long horizontal sashing strips in between the rows. Because of this, when you put your strips right sides together, you will not know if the vertical sashing strips are lining up. I used pins as markers on both strips to align when I flipped right sides together and this worked out well for me.
I’ve since added the side and top sashing and have completed the quilt top. Now to do the same process for the back. The back rows are ready, I just need to add horizontal sashing and join the rows. Mom was nice enough to bring me some threads she thought would blend in nicely for the quilting. Hopefully I finish the back this weekend and can start quilting next weekend.
I also started this new cross stitch! It’s a Lizzie Kate pattern 3 Little Words, Never Give Up. It’s actually part of a series that you can stitch together. I only plan on stitching the Never Give Up part since I think it’s fitting for my sewing room. A nice little reminder when I’m working on tough projects. I also found some great file cases from Daiso Japan dollar store and they’re perfect for holding my projects. I’m using DMC for colors I already had in my stash, then bought the overdyed floss for the colors I didn’t have. I figured it would be a nice opportunity to start that collection of floss. The fabric is 32 count lambs wool…which is a bit stiff and has lots of slub. I don’t think I’ll be stitching on this again, but happy to have tried it nonetheless. I changed the color of the little bird, but finding that my choice might have been too light. I’m thinking instead of unstitching him, I would embellish with a strand of DMC Shimmer thread in a darker blue.
Finally, here’s a quick view of my little spring harvest. I think I let these carrots sit too long and only one of them was large enough to eat. The scallions were teeny, but they had a great smell and color. My cilantro has already bolted and flowering, but I am still able to harvest some. I used all of this in my Pad Thai dinner that I made. Petey was quite interested. Such a cutie!