I’m excited to share with you my first finished cross stitch piece for my stitching journal! I did actually complete this stitch in January and completed the spread towards the end of that month. The stitching that I’m focusing on for this journal is a monthly series by Zoe Patching featured in Cross Stitch Magazine. It’s called Nature Diary and as the name suggests will focus on all the sweet things you might spot in the garden.
I stitched January on a scrap piece of 36 count Lakeside Linen in the color Vintage Maritime White. I used only 1 strand of DMC for a softer vintage look. I used most of the called for colors but substituted for like shades if I didn’t have the color. Here’s the full spread and I love how it turned out!
I knew from the beginning that I wanted to use all or snippets of poems from The Very Stuff by Stephen Beal throughout my journal. DMC 746 is the lightest color used in the stitching and I was able to find a poem on that color. The poem makes reference to a line of latitude on a map and all the places along the path, which inspired me to use a piece of map paper as the back drop to my stitching. It only peaks along the edges which is perfect, because it doesn’t necessarily show the places referenced in the poem. Also collaged behind the map are some botanical line drawings from an old book and topped with ferny stickers. As you can see I frayed the edges of the stitching while slowly pulling the threads out one side at a time. Glued some brown paper behind the stitching to act as stabilizer and glue that down to the map page. I finished the page with some labels, one that shows a row of mushrooms and the second one with the Month.
For the left hand side, I knew I wanted to use the triangular plastic window, which is actually packaging to some holiday pretzels we received over Christmas. I decided to make a side pocket, perfect for repurposing what would have otherwise been thrown away! I scanned, printed, and distressed the poem, tearing it up into sections and then glued onto a vintage mushroom post card. I love that you can peak to see parts of the poem, but then pull it out and read it completely. On the back is where I will journal the details of the stitching and anything else I would like to remember about the spread. I added some handmade paper for texture and another mushroom label with a fern sticker to unify the spread. Of course this triangle shape makes me think of the tree that the Goldcrest bird is nesting in, so it was only logical to add her nest there at the top.
I have yet to start stitching the February piece, but I hope to get to that soon. The design features a bunny which already has me searching for some bunny embelishments. I found some great vintage images on The Graphics Fairy that I’m looking forward to using. Thank you Sharon for telling me about that site!
Enjoy the additional close-ups here: