Noah’s Christmas Ark: Giraffes

Finally, my first cross stitch finish for 2019! I actually started this block last year, but decided to put it away and focus on other projects. So as you can imagine, these skinny giraffes were a pretty quick stitch!

I am stitching these blocks on Lakeside Linens Porcelain White in 36 count, using the called for DMC colors. I’m also stitching this 1 thread over 2.

This completes the first release of Plum Street Samplers Noah’s Christmas Ark. I will start on part 2 when it’s time to work on another ornament block, which will be Doves and Honeybees.

Happy Easter everyone!

Advertisements

March WIPs SAL Update 4.7

Unfortunately I did not get any stitching time on my full coverage piece. Instead of leaving you without an update, I thought I’d share my March WIPs instead!

I decided to try indoor seed starting this year. I read a couple of books in February and did some research on an indoor growing setup. I followed this DIY Grow Light Stand setup by The Creative Vegetable Gardener. I purchased my metal stand from Amazon and my fluorescent fixtures and bulbs from Lowes. I went with T8 bulbs, one warm light and one daylight in each fixture. I used peat Jiffy Pots and Fertilome seed starting mix. The seeds were sown before I actually setup the stand and lights as I didn’t anticipate anything to germinate within the week. To my surprise, the cabbage seedlings germinated in just 3 days! They were a little leggy as the were reaching for light that wasn’t there. I quickly setup the stand and put both trays under the lights in anticipation for more sprouts.

The Cabbage was a fast grower. The rest of my seeds germinated with time. Cilantro and peppers took about a week. Eggplant and tomatillos took 1-2 weeks.

The seedling have been doing very well. See their robust growth!

Towards the end of the month, I started to harden off the cabbage and cilantro for outdoor living. After a week of hardening, I put the cabbage in the raised bed and the cilantro in a patio container.

This week I’m hardening off the peppers, tomatillos, and scallions. Hope to plant them next weekend. Now for some stitching! Sorry, as you can see, I’ve been pretty busy with the Spring growth. I did manage to get some progress in on a couple of projects.

At the beginning of the month I added some progress to Madame Chantilly’s Pumpkins Thieves. My goal was to finish the balloon and I did manage to complete this. The balloon took me two full skeins of Barrel Cactus by Classic Colorworks.

About mid month, I worked on Where there are Bees by The Prairie Schooler for my #averyprairieyearSAL update. Neko also turned 10 years old this month! The bottom half of the chart is complete, working my way into the top half!

During the last week of the month, I prepared my new project start for April. This new project is an embroidery pattern called Journey of the Ark by Jan Speed and Julie Larsen. I picked it up at our local quilt show. The picture on the pattern doesn’t do it justice. The quilted model grabbed my attention and I had to buy it! At the quilt show I also grabbed Valdani Thread and Liberty Homestead fabric.

In preparation, I decided to try out Sulky Fabri-Solvi printable stabilizer. I copied the pattern onto this and adhered the designed to my fabric. Once I’m done with the embroidery, I can wash off the stabilizer. I also created a floral project bag for this. This project is my new lunchtime stitch for work. Looking forward to sharing progress with you next month!

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the SAL group has progressed with their projects! Join me by clicking the blog links below:

Avis, Claire, Gun, Carole, Jess, Sue, Constanze, Debbierose, Kathy, Margaret, Cindy, Helen, Linda, Heidi, Jackie, Sunny, Hayley, Megan, Catherine, Deborah, Connie, Clare, Mary Margaret, Renee, Jenny, Carmela, Jocelyn, and Sharon

SAL Update 3.17

Happy SAL Update! We’re so close to Spring! The robins are out and I’m waiting for the Iris to bloom ❤ It’s 50 degrees, but the sun is out and I’m blogging on my sunny porch with a cup of coffee.

BEFORE

This time around, I decided to work across more blocks. Especially since these same 7-8 colors make up this section. Didn’t quite make it into the white stitching, but that’s okay as I discovered I’m out of a particular color that I will need.

AFTER

Stitch Stats: 383 stitches, 23.5% complete

Pattern: Passion Flowers and Hummingbirds by Martin Johnson Heade, charted by Scarlet Quince.

Grab a cup of coffee and join me in a blog hop by clicking the links below and let’s see how everyone is doing on their projects!

Avis, Claire, Gun, Carole, LucyAnn, Jess, Sue, Constanze, Debbierose, Kathy, Margaret, Cindy, Helen, Steph, Linda, Heidi, Jackie, Sunny, Hayley, Megan, Catherine, Deborah, Connie, Clare, Mary Margaret, Renee, Jenny, Carmela, Jocelyn, and Sharon