March is half way over and realizing I haven’t posted on my February project! Better late than never sounds good to me. For the month of Feb, the All People Quilt UFO Challenge called for #6 on my list, which was Melinda Bula’s Fabulous Fusible Flower project that I started back in 2019. Both mom and I took this class together and went with differnt colorways. Here’s where my project left off in 2019:
I had fused the first layer down and it was ready for more layers! Mom and I got together a couple of times throughout the month to work on our coneflowers. We made a fantastic mess of her dining table, but how else do you craft?? We watched a couple of Melinda Bula’s youtube videos as a refresher on what to do next.
Here’s how much I accomplished on our first craft day. Mostly prep work getting all the fabrics fused and the shapes cut. The background fabric I chose reminded me of plant cells, really cool and happy with the effect.
After our second craft day we were done fusing all the layers! Added some stems, leaves (which I free handed), and fused to our background fabric. We bought some matching threads for the next step which will be to thread paint on the flowers and quilt around the design. For now I have it pinned up on my wall to enjoy. I love how the oranges turned out on mom’s flowers!
I have yet to start my March UFO call or my March wedge embroidery, so wish me luck!
I started the year off in an organizational mood (don’t we all?) and I binged watched The Home Edit and other interior design shows while I worked on my embroidery. I decided to reorganize my sewing room, taking everything out of the closet, out of storage containers, and out of random bags that accumulated junk. My sewing room was a mess! But I finally got through the clutter and ended up with 3 bags of donations and a bag of trash. My space now looks more cleaner, decluttered, and roomier! I was able to make my sewing table multi-purposeful for my work from home days, I was able to clear my cutting table off, and I was able to move my Etsy shipping supplies onto my other table top that was previously a catch all table.
The white drawer unit next to my photobox was a new purchase, which stores all my patterns. The top drawer holds my rotary cutters, painters tape, and measuring tape. The Ikea pegboard is also a new addition, to keep my rulers up and out of the way. The famous Ikea craft cart, which I had previously had storing random fabrics and projects, now lives next to my sewing table with all my notions, zippers, and notebooks. My goal was to make this space stress free and a productive place to sew. As you can see, Neko really loves how it turned out too. She claims my throne every time!
This year, I’m trying again to keep up with the All People Quilt UFO challenge. For the month of January, #6 was called, which was my x and + quilt project. I started sewing up these blocks in 2015. My goal was 24 blocks and I had 13 complete. I was able to finish up the rest in the month of January. Hopefully I can find some free time to get the top sewn together.
As for cross stitching, I’ve pretty much stuck with one of my recent starts from last year called Possum Song by Mama Witch Xstitch. It was a very small start, a couple of things weren’t working for me and that is why it wasn’t calling to me for progress. The 36 count fabric that I used must have shrunk in the dying process, because the two strands I was using was much too tight. I can usually get away with one or two strands with 36 counts, but it just wasn’t working for this piece. Or perhaps the fabric was mislabeled, but it definitely is stitching up like a 40 count. At the end of December, I unpicked all the stitches and started fresh with one thread. The chart was my other problem. They are not very printer friendly, which I prefer over using a screen to stitch from. I finally managed to print the chart in quarters and tape them up. With these two changes I was off to a good start, making decent progress in the month of January. Here’s where I am now!
A couple of random photos…here’s an apple cake I made one day. I’m not a baker and I sure did make a mess, but it was yummy. Also working on making these custom cricut stickers for my closet dividers as I continue to tackle my organization around the house. Hoping for another productive month!
Hurray, I’ve completed my first challenge of the year for the American Patchwork and Quilting UFO Challenge! For the month of January, project 12 was called. My #12 was a Project Linus quilt kit that has been sitting in my sewing room for embarrassingly too long. Project Linus quilt kits are pre-cut and ready to go, so they should be a very quick project.
I got started on this quilt as soon as the number was called and of course, I finished the top in one day. I love the cute bug prints and cheerful colors, so it was a very fun project to work on. I love when red and green are used together outside of Christmas crafts. All of the colors and prints worked wonderfully together!
The kit came with fleece backing and no batting, leaving the quilt soft and lightweight. I quilted all over with some free-motion loops and finished it off with the bright yellow binding.
All that’s left is to drop off my donation at my local Joanns. I’m excited to finally have this completed quilt out in the world to bring a little joy to someone’s day. Looking forward to seeing what gets called next!
I love to share my Quilting projects with other Quilters. My goal is to share my progress on projects that I am working on. I would love for you to follow along with me during my endeavors. I hope you enjoy watching me tackle new techniques and projects. Hopefully you can learn from my "hiccups" and mistakes and make your journey easier.