Organization & My Jan WIPs

I started the year off in an organizational mood (don’t we all?) and I binged watched The Home Edit and other interior design shows while I worked on my embroidery. I decided to reorganize my sewing room, taking everything out of the closet, out of storage containers, and out of random bags that accumulated junk. My sewing room was a mess! But I finally got through the clutter and ended up with 3 bags of donations and a bag of trash. My space now looks more cleaner, decluttered, and roomier! I was able to make my sewing table multi-purposeful for my work from home days, I was able to clear my cutting table off, and I was able to move my Etsy shipping supplies onto my other table top that was previously a catch all table.

The white drawer unit next to my photobox was a new purchase, which stores all my patterns. The top drawer holds my rotary cutters, painters tape, and measuring tape. The Ikea pegboard is also a new addition, to keep my rulers up and out of the way. The famous Ikea craft cart, which I had previously had storing random fabrics and projects, now lives next to my sewing table with all my notions, zippers, and notebooks. My goal was to make this space stress free and a productive place to sew. As you can see, Neko really loves how it turned out too. She claims my throne every time!

This year, I’m trying again to keep up with the All People Quilt UFO challenge. For the month of January, #6 was called, which was my x and + quilt project. I started sewing up these blocks in 2015. My goal was 24 blocks and I had 13 complete. I was able to finish up the rest in the month of January. Hopefully I can find some free time to get the top sewn together.

As for cross stitching, I’ve pretty much stuck with one of my recent starts from last year called Possum Song by Mama Witch Xstitch. It was a very small start, a couple of things weren’t working for me and that is why it wasn’t calling to me for progress. The 36 count fabric that I used must have shrunk in the dying process, because the two strands I was using was much too tight. I can usually get away with one or two strands with 36 counts, but it just wasn’t working for this piece. Or perhaps the fabric was mislabeled, but it definitely is stitching up like a 40 count. At the end of December, I unpicked all the stitches and started fresh with one thread. The chart was my other problem. They are not very printer friendly, which I prefer over using a screen to stitch from. I finally managed to print the chart in quarters and tape them up. With these two changes I was off to a good start, making decent progress in the month of January. Here’s where I am now!

A couple of random photos…here’s an apple cake I made one day. I’m not a baker and I sure did make a mess, but it was yummy. Also working on making these custom cricut stickers for my closet dividers as I continue to tackle my organization around the house. Hoping for another productive month!

TBT – Weather Vane

Happy Thursday!

Fantastic news…I’ve completed the last block for Traditional Block Thursday strip stick ironing warmerby Penny Rose Fabrics! The Weather Vane is such a beautiful block and I really enjoyed following this last tutorial. I can imagine beautiful designs with solids or scrappy fussy cuts for an entire quilt made with weather vane blocks. Piecing was a breeze and found that flying geese is probably my most favorite method. Half square triangles…not so much, (haha) but I’ve mastered the skill in creating and trimming them to size. For this block, I used a sweet blue print with school children playing and paired it with a fun red floral print. For the neutral, I went outside of the reproduction prints and used Moda Grunge Winter White.

Weathervane Blockweathervane_detail

The Quilt Construction is also available on the blog! With all of my holiday sewing I probably won’t get to putting this quilt together until after Christmas. I also need to visit the fabric shop and buy reproduction fabric for my borders, backing, and binding. That should make for a fun fabric shopping trip!

I really learned a lot with this quilt along and feel I have improved my skill set and technique. Many of the piecing methods were completely new to me as I’ve only been sewing for 2 years. Thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. Before, I thought that I would re-do some of the blocks I was unhappy with, but instead I will proudly show them in my quilt so I can see the progress I made 🙂

Stay tuned and thanks again for following along!